The Art Of The Start • A Mentler Methode Workshop
Date: Thursday, May 19, 2022
Time: 10:00 am-4:30 pm
Location: The Society of Figurative Arts
Address: 3306 Wiley Post, Studio 104, Carrollton, Texas, 75006. (view on Google Maps)
Fee: $185 (Includes supplies and model fee)
What You Will Learn: In this Workshop the Maester will cover key Fundamentals of the Mentler Methode.
- The Elements of the Visual Language
- The Evolution of Intent from Imitation to Invention
- The Mass Conception of the Human Form
- The Methods of starting a drawing and maintaining Gestural Expression
Gesture drawing involves capturing the Gestalt or Whole using Mass, Structure, and/or Boundaries.
Evolution of intent from Imitation to Invention is at the core of the Mentler Methode and Attendees will be guided along the journey.
Surveying the pose and understanding the full extent of action is one of the first orders of business, one cannot draw what they do not understand.
Tip, tilt and twist, i.e., the 3-Ts need to be conveyed to the viewer at this juncture.
Unity and variety needs to be explored and enhanced. For every action there is a juxtaposed reaction.
Rhythm brings vitality to the drawing and draws the viewer into the action without the Rhythm there is no LIFE in life drawing.
Expression, Enhancement, and Exaggeration provide the essence of character. Without it, the work is a mirror not a drawing.
- The Maester Will Demonstrate And Pontificate From 10:00 To 1:00
- 1:00 to 1:30 Lunch Break
- 1:30 to 4:00 Attendees Work From The Model, and Michael Will Give Individual Critiques As Needed
- A Thirty Minute Recap Will Be Given at the End Of the Day
Full Mentler Course:
This Mentler Methode Workshop is the foundation of Michael’s core drawing and painting curriculum.
- GESTURE – The Art Of The Start*
- PLAN – The Blueprint For The Human Form*
- GRAVITY – The Maxims Of Life Drawing
- MUSCLE & BONE – The Mechanics Of The Human Machine
- HEADS, FEATURES & FACES – The Elements Of Capturing Persona
* Mandatory for beginners
Workshop attendees will receive discounts on Michael's DVD, Books and future workshops.
This workshop is highly recommended for everyone. Novices should definitely take this workshop at least once before moving forward, as Michael does not revisit beginning material in advanced workshops.
All of the drawing materials will be provided for in-studio use. This includes easels or benches, drawing boards, charcoal, shammy, and paper. Please bring a notebook and a writing instrument to take notes during the demonstrations.
We have a fridge and microwave in case you bring your lunch, or we pick up food from La Spiga.
“Michael’s intense study of the teachings and works of George Brandt Bridgman and Robert Beverly Hale make him a natural progression of that linage with the added twist of his own dynamic personal style.” – Jon David Kassan –
“Michael is a modern-day Leonardo.” – Richard Schmid –
“Richards Right.” – Dan McCaw –